Whether you’ve been charged with a stand-alone firearms offence or it is connected to another alleged crime, these cases are notoriously complex.
Cases are often highly technical and demand careful analysis from lawyers experienced in firearms charges.
Whether you’ve been charged for the first time with possession of a handgun or you’ve illegally used a firearm in a crime, you are entitled to a defence. We are committed to helping you.
We will help you:
- Analyze the evidence against you for all triable issues
- Examine the legal and technical nature of the case
- Help you put together a robust defence
Our comprehensive knowledge of the firearms law regime in Canada is fundamental to your strongest possible defence.
Friedman Mansour LLP partner Solomon Friedman is a national authority on the subject, speaking and writing regularly about firearms law in Canada.
Powerful defence for firearms offences
In Canada, gun ownership laws are not nearly as liberal as in the U.S. but there are many lawful gun owners and collectors in the country. In fact, there are currently roughly 2.2 million licensed firearms owners in Canada.
The relevant laws and penalties are laid out in the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act (1995), The latter covers:
- Prohibited weapons
- Restricted weapons
- Prohibited devices
Gun ownership is heavily regulated in Canada and a gun registry was established in 2002 to maintain control.
According to the Criminal Code, prohibited firearms are:
- Handguns with a barrel “equal to or less than 105mm in length”, or designed to utilize .25 or .32 caliber ammunition
- Any firearm which is a rifle or a shotgun less than 660mm in length or with a barrel less than 457mm in length
- Any automatic firearm that has not been “altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger”
- Any firearm proscribed as prohibited by an Order in Council
These firearms rules apply to everyone except police officers and other exempt categories.
Examples of firearms charges
Many Canadians face a lack of understanding by the law enforcement authorities (including the police) of firearms laws.
Some examples of common firearms offences in Canada include:
- Unauthorized possession (unregistered firearms)
- Failure to report a lost firearm
- Failure to report finding a firearm that does not belong to you
- Improper storage of firearms
- Transporting firearms without authorization from the Chief Firearms Officer
The most common of all firearms charges is illegal possession. You must have a license for your firearm and, if it is restricted, a registration certificate as well.
More serious cases involving firearms include:
- Trafficking – transferring possession of a firearm, weapon or ammunition to someone not authorized to possess it
- Illegal use of a firearm – such as pointing a firearm or carrying a concealed weapon
- Use of a firearm in a burglary, assault, or other serious crime – a standalone charge applying to anyone using a firearm, whether it results in bodily harm or not
What are the penalties for a firearms conviction?
The main concern with firearms charges is the perceived risks posed to public safety.
If you do not exercise enough care or take reasonable precautions for the safety of others while owning, using, storing, or transporting firearms or ammunition, the consequences are serious.
Your case can be treated as a “hybrid offence”, meaning that it can be either a summary charge or an indictable charge, depending on the level of perceived risk to public safety.
How we will defend you
With such devastating consequences for a conviction, you need the best possible defence.
We have defended over 100 people accused of firearms charges involving weapons and ammunition.
Charges range from improper storage to more serious crimes involving illegal use of firearms.
Many of these individuals had legal rights to possess firearms and we were able to successfully challenge the evidence, based on:
- Challenges to the Crown’s ability to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt
- Technical arguments about the nature of the firearm, magazine or ammunition
- Constitutional arguments such as claims of unreasonable search and seizure
Conspiracy to traffic 10+ kg cocaine
Impaired driving, Over 80
Possession of a prohibited firearm with readily accessible ammunition
Child pornography cases
Possession and importation of child pornography
Domestic Assault Charges
Domestic assault causing bodily harm
Fraud/White collar charges
All Charges Were Stayed
Fady took very good care of me, keeping my best interest in mind and supported me throughout the process. I am very thankful for his help and would absolutely recommend this office and specifically Mr. Mansour.
Excellent and precise communications skills. Very clear on what my position was, what the legal actions available were, and what his strategy would be to address the situation. And precise execution. He assured me of my rights and position every step of the way. Made me feel totally comfortable with my rights, and let me continue with my life. Highly recommended.
Fady recently represented me in a legal matter during one of the most difficult periods of my life. From the onset, Fady was professional, supportive and reassured me that he would do all he could to ensure a positive outcome, which was achieved. Thank you to Fady and team for your hard work and support!
Solomon is an excellent Lawyer, top in the field of firearms legislation. Would definitely invest time and money for his expertise. Thank you Solomon for first, taking my case and second, supporting a injured veteran.
The night I was charged with assault after a night out drinking was the worst night of my life. As a police officer, an off duty assault conviction would have jeopardized my career. I have worked closely with lawyers my entire nine year career. Either directly with Crown on a case or through cross-examination by defence counsel and after a few minutes of speaking with Solomon shortly after my arrest I knew his knowledge and ability to articulate legal principles were unmatched. He spent nearly an hour on the phone with me gathering facts and providing clear instructions. Throughout the process he kept me updated as to what was going on and I was extremely impressed with his handling of my case. Solomon did his homework on the accusers and witnesses and prepared an unbelievable defence which ultimately led to the charge being dropped on the first day of trial and allowing me to continue my career as a police officer. I’d recommend Solomon to anybody who is in need of expert legal defence.