In Canada, certain controlled substances are illegal to possess. A charge for possession will arise when the police find a drug listed in Schedule I, II, or III on your person or on your property.
Our lawyers have successful defended many people charged with drug possession.
Penalties in drug possession cases are harsh. The penalty for possession in Canada will vary depending on the amount and type of drug found in your possession. Possession of a drug for personal use is a less serious offence than possession of a drug for the purpose of trafficking.
Possession is a complicated concept in law. The most important things to keep in mind with drug possession charges are:
- You do not have to own the substance to the charged with possession of it
- “Possession” is not limited to cases where the drug is found on your person
- If you knowingly put the substance in the possession or custody of another person, you can still be charged
- If you store an amount of the substance at a place for the use of yourself or someone else, even if it is not your place, you can still be charged
- If someone else possesses a substance with your full knowledge and consent, you can still be charged
These are some examples of sentences you may receive, upon conviction, for a drug possession charge:
- Up to seven years in jail, three years of probation; and/or thousands of dollars in fines for possession of Schedule I drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.)
- Up to three years in jail, three years of probation; and/or thousands of dollars in fines for possession of Schedule I drugs (LSD, magic mushrooms.)
- Up to five years in jail, three years probation; and/or thousands of dollars in fines for over 30 grams of marijuana or one gram of cannabis resin.
If this is a repeat offence, you can expect that the severity of the penalty will increase to deter you from committing the same offence against in the future.
Conspiracy to traffic 10+ kg cocaine
Impaired driving, Over 80
Possession of a prohibited firearm with readily accessible ammunition
Child pornography cases
Possession and importation of child pornography
Domestic Assault Charges
Domestic assault causing bodily harm
Fraud/White collar charges
All Charges Were Stayed
Fady took very good care of me, keeping my best interest in mind and supported me throughout the process. I am very thankful for his help and would absolutely recommend this office and specifically Mr. Mansour.
Excellent and precise communications skills. Very clear on what my position was, what the legal actions available were, and what his strategy would be to address the situation. And precise execution. He assured me of my rights and position every step of the way. Made me feel totally comfortable with my rights, and let me continue with my life. Highly recommended.
Fady recently represented me in a legal matter during one of the most difficult periods of my life. From the onset, Fady was professional, supportive and reassured me that he would do all he could to ensure a positive outcome, which was achieved. Thank you to Fady and team for your hard work and support!
Solomon is an excellent Lawyer, top in the field of firearms legislation. Would definitely invest time and money for his expertise. Thank you Solomon for first, taking my case and second, supporting a injured veteran.
The night I was charged with assault after a night out drinking was the worst night of my life. As a police officer, an off duty assault conviction would have jeopardized my career. I have worked closely with lawyers my entire nine year career. Either directly with Crown on a case or through cross-examination by defence counsel and after a few minutes of speaking with Solomon shortly after my arrest I knew his knowledge and ability to articulate legal principles were unmatched. He spent nearly an hour on the phone with me gathering facts and providing clear instructions. Throughout the process he kept me updated as to what was going on and I was extremely impressed with his handling of my case. Solomon did his homework on the accusers and witnesses and prepared an unbelievable defence which ultimately led to the charge being dropped on the first day of trial and allowing me to continue my career as a police officer. I’d recommend Solomon to anybody who is in need of expert legal defence.